A layer of juicy, moist chicken, flavor-bursting mushrooms, fresh spinach, and shredded Mexican-style cheese makes these stuffed, crispy quesadillas a favorite appetizer for people of all ages. They also make a perfectly quick and deliciously nutritious lunch for kids as well. Serve them at your next get together and soak in the praises!
• Canola oil 1 tbsp
• Onion, chopped 1 large
• White button mushrooms 8 ozs
• Cloves garlic, minced 3 medium
• Cooked chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast 2 cups
• Ground cumin 1 tsp
• Chili powder 1 tsp
• Oregano 1 tsp
• Baby spinach leaves, sliced into ribbons 2 cups
• Salt 1/2 tsp
• Freshly ground black pepper 1/4 tsp
• Whole-grain flour tortillas 4 large
• Shredded Mexican cheese mix or Cheddar 1 cup
• Salsa 1/2 cup
• Reduced-fat sour cream 1/4 cup
1. Place a large-sized non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add in canola oil and heat. Stir in the onions and mushrooms and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender and translucent and any liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated.
2. Next, add in the garlic, stir to mix and cool for 1 minute.
3. Now add the chicken, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Stir to blend and incorporate spices.
4. Finally, stir in the spinach and season with salt and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until spinach is just wilted.
5. Spray grease a large non-stick skillet and place over medium heat.
6. Lay out the tortillas on a flat surface. Top half of each tortilla with ¼ c. shredded cheese, ½ c. chicken/vegetable mixture, and then top with an additional ¼ c. shredded cheese. Fold empty half of tortilla over filled half to close.
7. Gently place one quesadilla in the skillet, taking care to not spill out contents, and cook for 3 minutes. With a large spatula, carefully flip quesadilla over and cook and additional 2 to 3 minutes or until tortilla is lightly browned and cheese is melted. Transfer to cutting board and cut into 4 wedges. Repeats with remaining 3 quesadillas. Transfer each quesadilla to a serving dish and serve with 1 tbsp. sour cream and 2 tbsp. salsa. Serve hot.
Image By: Mushroomcouncil.com